Have you ever wondered what bees and humans have in common? ‘Bee’ sure to watch this video to explore Manuela’s love of technology. You’ll learn about some of the technology’s consequences on your health and well-being and you might learn a thing or two about bees too!
Be sure to give us a like if you enjoyed the video and drop us a comment if you have any feedback or suggestions for new videos. Be sure to subscribe and press the notifications’ bell to stay tuned for more #KidZone episodes!
This video was made by McMaster Demystifying Medicine students Emily Grydziuszko, Nadia Kasim, and Reza Khorvash.
Copyright McMaster University 2020.
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW US FOR MORE CONTENT:
Youtube: @Demystifying Medicine
Twitter: @McMasterDMS- https://twitter.com/McMasterDMS
Podcasts: @MacDemystMed- https://soundcloud.com/user-781345766
1. Calamaro, Christina J., et al. “Wired at a Young Age: The Effect of Caffeine and Technology on Sleep Duration and Body Mass Index in School-Aged Children.” Journal of Pediatric Health Care, vol. 26, no. 4, July 2012, pp. 276–282., doi:10.1016/j.pedhc.2010.12.002.
2. Exploring Your Mind. (2018, December 14). Five Lessons We Can Learn from Bees. Retrieved from https://exploringyourmind.com/five-lessons-we-can-learn-from-bees/
3. Grad, P. (2010, May 19). Bee Hive Hierarchy and Activities. Retrieved from https://bigislandbees.com/blogs/bee-blog/14137353-bee-hive-hierarchy-and-activities
4. Homeschool Pop. (2017, September 18). Pollination for Kids | Flower Learning Video [Video].YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUPzbTuJlgc
5. Hysing, M., et al. “Sleep and Use of Electronic Devices in Adolescence: Results from a Large Population-Based Study.” BMJ Open, vol. 5, no. 1, 2015, doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2014-006748.
6. Maddux, J. F., & Desmon, D. P. (2000). Addiction or dependence? Addiction, 95(5), 661–665. doi: 10.1046/j.1360-0443.2000.9556611.x
7. National Sleep Foundation. (2009). Children and sleep. Retrieved from http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/sleep-topics/children-and-sleep)
8. Parekh, R. (2017, January). What Is Addiction? Retrieved from https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/addiction/what-is-addiction
9. Parenting Desk. (2019, February 28). Bad posture during excess screen time increases risk of spondylosis in children. Retrieved from https://indianexpress.com/article/parenting/health-fitness/bad-posture-excess-screen-time-spondylosis-children-5604690/
10. Public Health Agency of Canada. (2016, January 22). Government of Canada. Retrieved from https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/being-active/children-physical-activity.html
11. Shih, S.-F., & Killeen, O. (2020, May 21). Increasing screen time during the coronavirus pandemic could be harmful to kids’ eyesight. Retrieved from https://theconversation.com/increasing-screen-time-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic-could-be-harmful-to-kids-eyesight-138193
12. Singhi, P. (2019, July 30). How excessive screen time affects brain health in children. Retrieved from https://indianexpress.com/article/parenting/health-fitness/how-excessive-screen-time-affects-brain-health-in-children-5864049/
13. Stiglic, N., & Viner, R. M. (2019). Effects of screentime on the health and well-being of children and adolescents: a systematic review of reviews. BMJ open, 9(1), e023191. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2018-023191